Baghdatis extends his career by another round with win over Schnur

first_imgCyprot tennis player Marcos Baghdatis extended his career with a Wimbledon first round win against Canadian Brayden Schnur in just under two hours.Baghdatis, who said that this will be the last tournament of his his near 20-year long career, won in straight sets (6-2, 6-4, 6-4) and in convincing fashion against a player who is over 12 years younger than him.He has a special affinity with Wimbledon, with the 1992 men’s final between Andre Agassi and Goran Ivanisevic being the first game he ever saw on television.“It is a happy decision, it is not a sad one,” he said about his near retirement“Everything comes to an end, it has been four or five years, I have some problems with my hip, my ankle, my foot. It has been a few years.“It came now and it came for me at the perfect moment and I am really happy with that decision.“It is my wife’s favourite tournament, the first ever match I watched on television was Andre Agassi against Ivanisevic in the final in 1992. I was seven years old, that was the first match I ever saw.“I had some great runs here, my results here were much more consistent.“It is the most historical place to play tennis. I could not be more grateful to finish here.last_img read more

Solskjaer needs time to make lasting impact, says Guardiola

first_imgManchester City’s Pep Guardiola believes Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has stamped his authority at Manchester United with a fresh tactical approach but said the Norwegian will need more time to build a squad capable of winning titles.United have struggled for consistency in Solskjaer’s first full season as manager and have won just two Premier League games since beating City last month.The defeat to Arsenal on New Year’s Day left United five points behind fourth-placed Chelsea, but Guardiola has seen signs of United players finally translating Solskjaer’s gameplans onto the pitch.“Ole has started seeing the team he wanted – that’s my feeling,” Guardiola told a news conference ahead of City’s League Cup semi-final first-leg against United on Tuesday.“Even the last (league) game against Arsenal, that they lost, we saw what they want.“It’s not easy to handle a team at a big, big club… always demanding to win competitions and every manager needs time. I have the feeling United started to play the way he wants.”Guardiola will look to ensure his team is not vulnerable to counter-attacks as they were when United duo Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial carved out an early lead at the Etihad Stadium last month.“I think we conceded few counter-attacks in the beginning and in just two-three seconds they’re in the box. They have incredible pace and talent to do that,” the Spanish coach said.“In general the game was good, we created chances.”City confirmed defender Nicolas Otamendi, who missed the last two games against Port Vale and Everton, has returned to training and will be available for the match at Old Trafford.“I have an idea of the way I want to play but I am not 100% sure of the guys who play tomorrow,” Guardiola added.“Especially with the incredible amount of games some players have in the legs, they should be rested for the previous games.”last_img read more

Bittersweet sugar industry

first_imgthe Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) has once again hinted its intention to approach the Government for another bailout from the public treasury. There is no doubt that a decision by the Administration to accede or not will have a major impact on the lives of thousands. Compounding to the difficulties of the sugar industry is the fact that over the past months, the nation has unfortunately been witnessing the deterioration of industrial relations between the major players in Guyana’s sugar industry – namely GuySuCo and the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU). Such a situation is distressing for workers, considering that it is their future that is in the hands of these major players. The difficulties being experienced by GuySuCo are not new to the industry but it will take a strong economic plan and meaningful consultation to bring this industry out of its constant financial woes. The sugar industry will have to undergo thoughtful transformation to make it a viable industry.It is quite refreshing that President David Granger during his most recent programme “Public Interest” indicated that Cabinet has received the report of the Commission of Inquiry (CoI) into the sugar industry and has assured that there will be full consultations with the Opposition and with the workers before any action is taken about the future of the sugar industry. To quote him directly, “We are committed to a consultative process, we are also committed to a humane process and there is not going to be any action which is going to be injurious or harmful to the interest of the working people of this country.” The Head of State has also assured that while the bailout for the sugar industry will be costly on the treasury, a conclusion on the fate of the sugar industry is not going to be arbitrary or unilateral.However, moving towards consultation with the Opposition, workers and civil society is something Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo had called for since January of this year, while addressing hundreds of sugar workers who are on the breadline when the closure of the Wales Sugar Estate, on the West Bank of Demerara takes effect later this year. As a matter of fact, Jagdeo during a meeting with the affected sugar workers had called for a public debate on the sugar industry which remains one of the largest employers of the Guyanese population and was still one of the largest foreign currency earners.However, while the President has made this announcement, the issue of trust arises. At present, the issue of trust is very thin, considering that the CoI did not recommend the closure of the Wales or La Bonne Intention estates but yet Government went ahead and confirmed those closures.If we are to move forward with the workers’ interests at heart, then all parties should put politics aside and seek to have an industry which is viable, resilient and profitable. This consultation should not be just a showpiece or public display of lip service but rather meaningful contribution to the sustainability of the deteriorating sugar industry.Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) has made it clear that it is in a dire financial situation and GAWU has made it clear also of its demands for workers. Neither of the two has shifted its position, and as such, a compromise for an acceptable deal for workers was never reached with respect to the fight for Annual Production Incentive (API). These major players have always been at loggerheads and not much progress was made in any of their previous negotiations.In moving forward, all parties should return to the drawing board on the future of the sugar industry, and consultation and a public debate is a good place to start. We are therefore holding the Head of State on his word for consultations.last_img read more

Naro possession lands man in court

first_imgA man appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on Friday and vehemently denied that cocaine allegedly found in his possession belonged to him.According to Quacy Moore, on September 7, 2017, at Bourda, Georgetown, the one gram of cocaine allegedly discovered by Police on his person was “planted” on him.Moore told City Magistrate Judy Latchman that on the day of the discovery, he was in the vicinity of Bourda when he was approached and searched by ranks that were on patrol.He claimed that he was arrested without cause, however, while on his way to the Alberttown Police Station, he was shown the cocaine and told that the drug was found in his pocket which led to the present charge.Moore revealed that when he was first searched, there were a number of persons present that can attest to his story.Police Prosecutor Shawn Gonsalves told Magistrate Latchman that the analyst report in the matter would be available in two months.As such, she granted bail in the sum of ,000.The case will continue on September 29.last_img read more

Al-Attiyah bounces back to take overall lead

first_img0Shares0000SAN JUAN, Argentina, January 6 – Nasser Al-Attiyah bounced back from being stripped of victory on Sunday’s opening stage by taking the overall lead after winning Monday’s second stage at the Dakar Rally in Argentina. Driving a Mini, Al-Attiyah had claimed victory on Sunday only to be stripped of his success for speeding — clocking 68km/h in a section limited to 50km/h — and earning a two-minute penalty that saw him relegated to seventh place.But the Qatari, the 2011 champion, put on a masterful display Monday to finish eight and a half minutes clear of South Africa’s Giniel de Villiers to take the overall lead following the 518km stage from Villa Carlos Paz to San Juan.De Villiers’s Toyota team-mate Bernhard Ten Brinke was second at more than 10 minutes behind and those two now hold the same positions in the overall standings.Al-Attiyah said he felt winning this stage had been key to his overall hopes.“We won the stage. This was a big thing today. This is the key of this Dakar. Now we can go calmly until the rest day,” he said.“For the marathon day we can go really easily, but we will try every day to be like this. It was a plan today because we studied the stage very well.”Veteran Peugeot drivers Carlos Sainz and Staphane Peterhansel, both former winners, struggled for the second day in a row.Spaniard Sainz lost more than 20 minutes after colliding with motorcyclist Laurent Moulin, who was left with a broken leg and facial trauma.Meanwhile 11-time Dakar winner Peterhansel lost more than an hour after he too crashed and was left waiting for help to get going again.Defending champion Nani Roma is already out of contention after the Spaniard broke down in his Mini on Sunday and had to be towed home, losing more than six hours.In the motorbike section Spain’s Joan Barreda Bort also moved into the overall lead by taking victory on the second stage.“I am really happy. Today was amazing. It was really hard, really tough in the last part of the special with a lot of tracks and a lot of bumps and it was so physical,” said Barreda Bort.“But today was one of these days where it is important to get to the finish and we’ve got here so we are really happy. I was alone in some parts, but the most important was to remain calm over the first kilometres and finally we did a really good job.”He finished 6min 13sec ahead of his Honda teammate Paulo Goncalves with fellow Spaniard Ruben Faria third on a KTM at 9min 16sec.Reigning champion Marc Coma, another Spaniard riding a KTM, finished eighth at more than 12min and is now down in sixth place at a similar distance overall.Briton Sam Sunderland, who won Sunday’s opening stage, got lost and didn’t finish amongst the top 50 on Monday.This year’s rally features a gruelling 9,000km trek through Argentina, Chile and Bolivia before arriving back in Buenos Aires for a January 17 finish.This year’s event, the seventh in South America since its enforced transfer for security reasons from Africa, is the 37th of all time.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Ombachi back as Sevens WCup team named

first_imgAlso making a return from injury is Impala Saracens’ Samuel Oliech who alongside Ombachi make a comeback after missing London and Paris 7s.Herman Humwa, Jeff Oluoch and Nelson Oyoo who all made the Commonwealth Games at the Gold Coast, Australia also earned a slot.Kenya Sevens players Sammy Oliech and Jeff Oluoch during the World Rugby Sevens Series. PHOTO/World RugbyShujaa will depart for the USA on Sunday morning where they will compete alongside 23 other men’s teams in a new look, high-stakes knock-out format as they start their campaign against Tonga in the pre-quarter final.Speaking after naming the squad, Head Coach Innocent Simiyu said;“We have a very strong squad based on training. The guys have really trained hard and we believe we have selected the best team that can represent the country. We’re looking for good performances from the players and hopefully we can get some good results.”Commenting on the tournament format, Simiyu, a former Kenya captain said;“It is an interesting format. This being a knockout it means that you have to adapt very first to the chaos in the game because if the game goes it goes and you have to keep winning to stay in it. The first game versus Tonga will be very critical. We have to start very well…get our game going…hit our performance standards very early….get the results that we want and proceed from there.”Kenya will play their first game against Tonga at 11.01pm EAT on Friday 20 July.squad:Oscar Ayodi (Captain, Menengai Cream Homeboyz), Collins Injera (Stanbic Mwamba), Andrew Amonde (KCB), William Ambaka (Kenya Harlequin), Samuel Oliech (Resolution Impala Saracens), Nelson Oyoo (Top Fry Nakuru), Dennis Ombachi (Nondescripts), Jeff Oluoch (Menengai Cream Homeboyz), Brian Tanga (Kabras Sugar), Eden Agero (Kenya Harlequin), Herman Humwa (Kenya Harlequin), Samuel Ng’ethe (Menengai Oilers) Management: Innocent Simiyu (Head Coach), Geoffrey Kimani (Conditioning Coach), Lamech Bogonko (Physio), Erick Ogweno (Team Manager)0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Dennis Ombachi in action at teh Dubai Sevens. The team lost their second match 48-5 against South Africa. PHOTO/KRUNAIROBI, Kenya, July 12 – Nondescripts winger Dennis Ombachi has made a comeback to the Kenya Sevens team after being named in a 12-man travelling squad to represent the country at the 2018 Rugby Sevens World Cup to be hosted in San Francisco, USA from July 20-22.Only four players experienced Andrew Amonde, speedster Colling Injera, Willy Ambaka and Eden Agero were in the last World Cup where Kenya reached the semi-final under the tutelage of Englishman Mike Friday.last_img read more

Combining Barca and Real to create a super XI – What a team!

first_img 1 Liverpool and Man United are finished now it’s time for the Clasico.Just a point separates Barcelona and Real Madrid at the top of Spain’s Liga, so which players would you pick to create a perfect Barca/Real XI?RONALDO: ‘MESSI WORSE THAN BENDTNER!’That’s what we asked on Facebook and below is the result?Join in the debate on Facebook by clicking here. Let us know who would make up your perfect XI in the comments below. Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo in the same team? 1last_img read more

Garden variety

first_imgWHITTIER – Giovanni Griffith thinks his gift to his mother for Mother’s Day will bring tears to her eyes. Griffith, 9, joined about 70 other students at the Boys and Girls Club of Whittier on Wednesday in painting his own plastic butterfly to add to a unique bouquet of wild flowers. “I know my mom will cry because she always cries when I give her something special,” said the Orchard Dale Elementary School student. “I usually help my aunt weed the garden so I know how to take care of these plants.” The Mother’s Day gift project was created and funded by the It’s Garden Thyme garden club of Whittier, a nonprofit organization which specializes in donating plants to community service groups. Zimmerman said almost all the plants she donates are grown in her own garden. She also sells them to raise funds for donations. “We sell plants in big plant yard sales to raise funds for these types of activities. I raise, propagate and bring them to people,” she said. Volunteer Kathleen Turner joined the garden club to combine her passion for gardening with her desire to help her community. “I get a good feeling from doing something nice for the children,” Turner said. “It’s hard for them to get something for their moms so this way they can give them a beautiful gift.” pam.wight@sgvn.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3029160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBasketball roundup: Sierra Canyon, Birmingham set to face off in tournament quarterfinalsClub president, Marie Zimmerman, said she picked Wednesday because it was Mother’s Day in Mexico. She said one of her group’s goals was to educate children about gardening. “I wanted the children to have a fun Mother’s Day project so their moms could be shocked and amazed,” said Zimmerman, who brought approximately 70 herbs and bouquets for the project. “I want them all to have plants in their yards. It’s often hard to get kids to eat their vegetables and most don’t know where they come from. This is a way to get them interested in gardening.” Potted herbs were given to each child along with the flowers. Six volunteers taught the children how to plant their herbs in the ground or how to keep them in pots at home. last_img read more

The Two Mikes – Saturday, February 3: Porky was a rolling stone

first_imgMore madness and mayhem from everyone’s favourite duo, Mike Graham and Mike Parry, as they gear up for an action-packed day of sport on Saturday’s Warm Up.last_img

Motherwell manager heralds influence of ‘brilliant’ James McFadden

first_imgMark McGhee hailed the influence of the “brilliant” James McFadden as Motherwell moved into the next round of the Scottish Cup.The Steelmen saw off Highland League side Cove Rangers with an emphatic 5-0 win, in which Stephen Pearson grabbed a double – with further goals from Louis Moult, Scott McDonald and Marvin Johnson.McFadden, 32, signed on a short-term deal until the end of January, came on at 4-0 in the 52nd minute to make his third debut for the club where he started his career.He showed flashes of his renowned talent as the home side bossed their Highland League opponents and manager McGhee said afterwards: “He has still to get up to speed but he will be able to make a contribution. “He is an entertainer. You saw the way he teamed up with Scott so there will be another day where we will be able to use him in the same sort of way and he will be effective for us.“I have said before, he is just brilliant, having him around the place, the influence he has in others like Dom Thomas for instance. It was a pity he didn’t score.”McGhee joked that he had given Pearson long enough to get his hat-trick before he replaced him with Thomas in the 70th minute.Asked if his midfielder felt disappointed, the former Celtic, Aberdeen and Scotland striker said: “I don’t know. I don’t really care. “Keith Lasley is suspended next week against Hearts and I wasn’t taking any chances with Pearo, he did enough.“He had 70 minutes to get a hat-trick and I have scored hat-tricks in less than that.”last_img read more