Polarcus inks 3-year charter extension in Russia

first_imgVyacheslav Tikhonov; Image: GazpromPolarcus has announced the three-year extension of the bareboat charter party agreement (BBCP) for the vessel Vyacheslav Tikhonov in Russia. The agreement was made between Polarcus Selma Limited, Polarcus’ wholly owned subsidiary, and SCF Sakhalin Supply Limited.The original five-year agreement between the two companies for the Vyacheslav Tikhonov, formerly Polarcus Selma, was inked in August 2011.Polarcus said on Friday in an Oslo Stock Exchange filing that this extension was carried out pursuant to SCF’s option within the terms of the current BBCP, in force since 2011.According to Polarcus, the vessel charter will continue for a further period of three years starting from August 18, 2016.Vyacheslav Tikhonov is a 3D seismic 8-streamer vessel. It was built in 2011 by Drydocks World Dubai LLC to the Ulstein SX133 design, and incorporating theUlstein X-BOW hull. The vessel is 84.2m long with a beam of 17.0m.During a naming ceremony for the seismic vessel Vyacheslav Tikhonov in September 2011, in the Russian Black Sea city of Sochi, Russia’s president Vladimir Putin assumed the role of Guardian to the vessel. He acted as the prime minister at the time.Polarcus on Friday also received a letter of intent for a 4D project over a field offshore Norway.Offshore Energy Today Stafflast_img read more

Gabadi signs LNG JV deal with Singapore’s SSB

first_imgGabadi of Spain on Tuesday signed a joint venture agreement with SSB Group’s unit SSB Cryogenic Equipment for LNG vessels maintenance. Through the joint venture, the two companies intend on cooperating on the construction of small-scale LNG membrane vessels and the development of Singapore’s capabilities in LNG membrane repair.The SSB Cryogenic Equipment is the only Singapore company and one of only four in the world certified by France’s Gaztransport & Technigaz, to render LNG membrane global tests for GTT’s cargo containment system.SSB Group’s managing director Peh Lam Hoh said, the joint venture will allow the company to bring the engineering technology, expertise and experience in LNG membrane construction to the region, and develop local capabilities in this field.In a brief social media post Gabadi said that the agreement reinforces the company’s development work over the last months. The deal with SSB adds to Gabadi’s LNG maintenance agreement with China Merchants Heavy Industry (CMHI) shipyard signed last week.The two agreements come on top of similar deals signed in Qatar, Canada and China, the company said. LNG World News Stafflast_img read more

CIOB is better than the rest

first_imgGet your free guest access  SIGN UP TODAY To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community Subscribe now for unlimited accesslast_img read more

Building control’s new found public profile

first_imgSubscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Subscribe now for unlimited access To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Get your free guest access  SIGN UP TODAYlast_img read more

Glogos presses ahead

first_imgThe cargoes included two presses weighing 100-tonnes and 150-tonnes respectively, and five open top containers. The consignment was trucked from its fabrication site in Moscow to St Petersburg, a distance of approximately 860 km. At St Petersburg port, Glogos organised the unloading of the trucks, loading on to a chartered tramp vessel, safely securing the cargoes and organising the appropriate documentation. Glogos is a member of the Project Cargo Network representing Rusia. www.projectcargonetwork.comwww.glogos.netlast_img read more

Indian Prima locomotives equipped with Saft batteries

first_imgINDIA: Back-up power for the control and safety systems on the 800 twin-section WAG12 Prima T8 electric locomotive which Alstom is building for Indian Railways will be provided by batteries which Saft is supplying under its largest-ever order in the rail sector.Saft has increased the scope of its Indian production capabilities from assembly to full design, manufacturing and support to enable it to play a part in the government’s Make in India programme. The nickel-technology SRM+ cells for the Prima T8 locomotives will be manufactured and supported from a factory in Bibadi near Bangalore, which was established in 2013 and has previously supplied Alstom with batteries for Chennai and Lucknow metro projects. ‘Quality, safety, reliability and the manufacturing capabilities of Saft India were central to Alstom’s selection of Saft SRM+ batteries’, according to Milan Sima, Rail & Mobility General Manager at Saft. ‘We are proud to demonstrate that we have become a full local supplier and a strong force for all the major manufacturers in the Indian market.’last_img read more

Earth’s earliest mobile organisms lived 2.1 billion years ago

first_imgTubular structures found in black shale from a quarry in Gabon dating from 2.1 billion years ago – providing evidence of the earliest-known mobile organisms on Earth – are shown in Poitiers, France in this undated handout photo obtained February 11, 2019. Abderrazak Albani/IC2MP/CNRS/Universite de Poitiers/Handout via REUTERS Tubular structures found in black shale from a quarry in Gabon dating from 2.1 billion years ago – providing evidence of the earliest-known mobile organisms on Earth – are shown in Poitiers, France in this undated handout photo obtained February 11, 2019. Abderrazak Albani/IC2MP/CNRS/Universite de Poitiers/Handout via REUTERSScientists have discovered in 2.1-billion-year-old black shale from a quarry in Gabon the earliest evidence of a revolutionary development in the history of life on Earth, the ability of organisms to move from one place to another on their own.The researchers on Monday described exquisitely preserved fossils of small tubular structures created when unknown organisms moved through soft mud in search of food in a calm and shallow marine ecosystem. The fossils dated back to a time when Earth was oxygen-rich and boasted conditions conducive to simple cellular life evolving more complexity, they said.Life emerged in Earth’s seas as single-celled bacterial organisms perhaps 4 billion years ago, but the earliest life forms lacked the ability to move independently, called motility. The Gabon fossils are roughly 1.5 billion years older than the previous earliest evidence of motility and appearance of animal life.The Gabonese shale deposits have been a treasure trove, also containing fossils of the oldest-known multicellular organisms.“What matters here is their astonishing complexity and diversity in shape and size, and likely in terms of metabolic, developmental and behavioral patterns, including the just-discovered earliest evidence of motility, at least for certain among them,” said paleobiogeochemist and sedimentologist Abderrazak El Albani of the University of Poitiers in France.The identity of these pioneering mobile organisms remains mysterious. The fossils did not include the organisms themselves.The tubular structures, up to 6.7 inches (170 mm long), originally were made of organic matter, perhaps mucus strands left by organisms moving through mud. The researchers said the structures may have been created by a multicellular organism or an aggregation of single-celled organisms akin to the slug-like organism formed when certain amoebas cluster together in lean times to move collectively to find a more hospitable environment.“Life during the so-called Paleoproterozoic Era, 2.5 to 1.6 billion years ago, was not only bacterial, but more complex organisms had emerged at some point, likely only during some phases and under certain environmental circumstances,” El Albani said.In comparison, the first vertebrates appeared about 525 million years ago, dinosaurs about 230 million years ago and Homo sapiens about 300,000 years ago.The evolutionary experimentation with motility may have encountered a setback relatively soon after the Gabon organisms lived because of a dramatic drop in atmospheric oxygen 2.08 billion years ago.The research was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.Related Africa set to top 1 billion mobile internet connections in five years: study Egypt to invest $9 billion in refineries’ upgrade over four yearscenter_img Togo coach says African football is worse than it was 20 years agolast_img read more

Britain’s Theresa May asks for Brexit delay

first_imgTheresa May postpones vote on her Brexit deal UK Prime Minister Theresa May appoints new Brexit Secretary British PM Theresa May faces confidence vote after Brexit defeatcenter_img U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May Prime Minister Theresa May is writing to the European Union to formally ask for Brexit to be postponed.At present, the UK is set to leave the EU with or without a deal in nine days.A cabinet source told the BBC Mrs. May plans to ask the EU to agree to postpone the UK’s departure until 30 June, but with an option of a longer delay as well.EU Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier said the EU would not grant a delay without a “concrete plan” from the UK about what they would do with it.British MPs rejected the withdrawal deal May has negotiated with the EU for a second time last week by 149 votes. They also voted in favour of ruling out leaving the EU without a deal, and in favour of extending the Brexit process.The prime minister had hoped to have another try at getting MPs to back the deal this week – but Speaker John Bercow effectively torpedoed that with his surprise intervention on Monday.She still hopes to ultimately get it in front of MPs for a third go, but says even if that happens and they vote in favour of it, the UK will need a short extension to get the necessary legislation through Parliament.Relatedlast_img read more

Sierra Leone to impose nationwide lockdown over COVID-19

first_imgSierra Leone’s President Julius Maada Bio addresses the audience during an event in which he declared national emergency on rape and sexual violence, in Freetown, Sierra Leone February 7, 2019. REUTERS/Cooper Inveen Sierra Leone’s President Julius Maada Bio./AFPSierra Leonean President Julius Maada Bio has declared a three-day nationwide lockdown from May 3 to further curb the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.“Epidemiological data and other evidence indicate that there is community transmission of COVID-19 in Sierra Leone,” the president told the nation late Thursday, adding that all other existing measures, including the curfew and restrictions on inter-district travel, would remain in full force.The government has decided to intensify contact tracing and detection, scale up testing and isolation, and expand treatment to fight against the pandemic, Bio said.He urged citizens to adhere strictly to all hygiene protocols and healthcare directives.As of Friday morning, Sierra Leone has reported 124 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with seven deaths.Related Sierra Leone Defends Lockdown India to extend COVID-19 lockdowncenter_img BREAKING: Sierra Leone confirms first case of COVID-19last_img read more

Nigerian police kill eight gunmen in crossfire

first_imgNigerian troops kill gunmen, destroy hideouts in airstrikes At least eight gunmen have been killed in a combat operation by police in Nigeria’s northwestern state of Katsina, a police spokesman said on Sunday.A group of more than 40 unidentified gunmen attacked a village in the state on Thursday, state police spokesman Gambo Isah said in a statement made available to Xinhua in Lagos.A police team responding to the attack was ambushed by the gunmen on their way to the village. One of the gunmen was killed on the spot in the crossfire while others escaped with serious gunshot wounds.In addition, search teams of police and members of the affected community on Friday discovered seven more corpses of the gunmen with gunshot wounds near an adjacent village, Isah said.He noted that two villagers were killed in the Thursday attack by the gunmen who also rustled 30 cows from the village.Police also recovered some cash and empty shells of live ammunition from the bodies of the dead gunmen.Northern Nigeria has seen a series of gun attacks in recent months, leading to the deaths of troops and civilians. Security forces are engaged in several operations in that part of the country to root out illegal armed groups.Related Nigerian police kill one, arrest two suspects in British kidnappingcenter_img Nigeria: Niger Delta Gunmen Kill Ninelast_img read more