The planned celebrations will be held at the Gordons Secondary School at Gordons.Team Solomon Islands and the Solomon Islands community in Port Moresby are gathering at the school hall for the event, away from home.July 7 was their Independence Day, which falls on Tuesday but officials and athletes were busy with their respective games and the observation was delayed to today.
Uming defeated his Vanuatu opponent Boe Warawara in a thrilling 3 round fight.Both men put on a great fight before a vocal crowd.However, Uming was too strong for Warawara winning on a technical knockout in round 3.The women’s competition takes place this afternoon.PNG fighters are dominating the ring with support from the home crowd.
In Wewak, BSP renovated a basketball and volleyball courts at the Bishop Leo Secondary School. This included balls, pumps, nets and a hoop.Sari Primary School sports area in Wabag was upgraded by BSP into a multi-purpose court where volleyball, netball and tennis can be played. Items of sports equipment were also given to the school.Bishop Leo principal Steven Bueng praised BSP for its work throughout the country.He said the facility will not only benefit the school but also the surrounding communities that use the facilities which will get more people involved in sports.“We thank you for your tireless efforts to upgrade the courts. Now we have a facility that our students and the local community can use,” said Bueng.
This Surfing Association PNG-World Surf League (WSL) surf tour championship will be held at Tupira in Madang Province.About 60 athletes are expected to take part in this world event plus 20 WSL staff and the local and international media.SAPNG president Andrew Abel says that this planned event will have very strong international promotion.The event will be a live broadcast to the world plus being an international program to distribute globally with focus on SAPNG policies.It will also include initiatives on empowering women with equal rights and opportunities.Abel added that the event will also address violence against women with participation from world champion female surfers who strongly advocate support of SAPNG initiatives.“This event will deliver massive global promotion and will be great for the tourism marketing perspective for SAPNG as we move towards greater focus on product development in growing our tourism sector,” said Abel.SAPNG will work in partnership with the PNG Tourism Promotion Authority, Office Tourism Arts and Culture (OTAC) and the Ministry of Tourism Arts and Culture.
Finance currently leads the points table in the premiere division followed by works and NHC.Most games were forfeited last Saturday and slow starts after the festive season break but the public servants match committee are adamant to get matches into full swing tomorrow at the Rita Flynn netball courts.In the premiere division at 1pm, NFA is drawn against NBC after last week’s double forfeit between NBC and NHC.NHC have a big task ahead of them as they face leaders of the competition, Finance. Finance has been in good form since the beginning of the 2017/2018 season.PNG Sports Foundation will face second-placed Works, who will be out to record another win in their quest to take out the top spot this season.In the meantime, division six will see Transport and Community Development team 2 play an extra game at 1.30pm on court three.The public servants netball competition has four more weekends before the competition reaches the business end of things.(File pic)
Representing the Tupapa Maraerenga Football side from his father’s side in the Cook Islands, Strickland is geared up and cannot wait to help his team achieve their target in the tournament.“I am very proud to be back here where we last visited for a holiday back in 2001. But now it’s different and I am very happy to represent my team in a sport I love playing.”“I know the support will also be there, which I am always grateful off,” he said.The 31 year old will be lining up against Solomon Warriors in Group D of the 2019 OFC Champions League in Honiara, Solomon Islands.
World number two Novak Djokovic has parted company with his coaching team in a bid to halt a run of poor results which culminated in a quarter-final exit at the Monte Carlo Masters last month.A winner of 12 Grand Slam titles, the Serb has suffered a noticeable dip in form since winning his maiden French Open last June, relinquishing top spot in the ATP rankings to Briton Andy Murray five months later.He made a shock second-round exit at the Australian Open to Uzbek Denis Istomin, followed by successive defeats to Australia’s Nick Kyrgios in Acapulco and Indian Wells, before being beaten by Belgian David Goffin in Monte Carlo.On Friday, the 29-year-old announced that he would part ways with his coach Marian Vajda, fitness coach Gebhard Phil Gritsch, and physiotherapist Miljan Amanovic.“I am forever grateful to Marian, GG and Miljan for a decade of friendship, professionalism and commitment to my career goals,” he said in a statement. “It was not an easy decision, but we all felt that we need a change.“I want to continue raising the level of my game and stamina and this is a continuous process… I am a hunter and my biggest goal is to find the winning spark on the court again.”Djokovic’s overhaul by Murray at the top of the rankings ended a run of more than two years as number one for the Serb, who has spent a total of 223 weeks at the summit during his career.Djokovic added that he would take his time before naming a new head coach.“I feel like this is a new chapter in my life,” he said. “My career was always on the upward path and this time I’m experiencing how it is when the path takes you in a different direction.“I have been on the tour long enough to know how to manage daily routines and I don’t want to rush my decision… I will inform the public when I find the right person, but for now I thank you for your support and understanding.
Apollon kick-off their Europa League group stage campaign with a hugely demanding encounter against last year’s semi-finalists Olympique Lyonnais at the GSP Stadium on Thursday (8pm).Like Apoel in the Champions League, the Limassol side have become somewhat regulars in the competition, having reached the group stages for the third time in five years.Sofronis Avgousti guided his side to the groups after defeating FC Zaria, Aberdeen and Midtjylland respectively in the qualifiers, and will now face Lyon, Everton and Atalanta in Group E.A player who played a key part in Apollon’s qualification was Chambos Kyriakou but the homegrown midfielder has since been loaned out to Portuguese side Estoril. The Limassol club have strengthened however, loaning Brazilian youngster Allan from Liverpool and Argentinian striker Nicolas Martinez from Olympiacos. Defender Angelis Angeli has returned to normal training though is unlikely to feature while Avgousti is hoping that forward Antun Maglica, who played an important role in the qualifying rounds, will recover in time.The Apollon defence will have their hands full against a powerful attacking line-up. Lyon have one of the best frontlines in the competition with former Manchester United man Memphis Depay, ex-Chelsea winger Bertrand Traore and French international Nabil Fekir behind striker Mariano Diaz who arrived from Real Madrid in the summer.The French side are undefeated in their opening five Ligue 1 games, winning three of them which puts them in third position behind last year’s champions Monaco in second and big spenders Paris Saint-Germain who sit top after a perfect start. After dropping into the competition last season following their exit from the Champions League, the French side knocked out AZ, Roma and Besiktas before eventually falling to Ajax in the last four. It is worth noting that Lyon lost their last three away games in the competition last season.The GSP is also the scene of one of their most disappointing European nights, as they famously lost on penalties to Apoel in the Champions League Round of 16 in the 2011/12 campaign. Apollon press officer Fanourios Konstantinou concedes that his side “are the outsiders” but says that the team will “try to make things difficult for the French club”. As well as success on the continent, Apollon’s big aim is to win the Cypriot first division title, but their start to the season did not go to plan as they could only manage a 1-1 draw at Olympiakos Nicosia.In their two previous group campaigns, Apollon kicked off at home and won both times – they defeated French side Nice 2-0 in 2013/14 and then FC Zurich 3-2 in 2014/15. However, they remain their only two victories beyond the qualifying rounds. This summer, Apollon were immaculate on home ground in Cyprus, winning all three games against FC Zaria, Aberdeen and Midtjylland at the AEK Arena, and their fans will be hoping for that run to continue on Thursday.As they did throughout those games in order to get to this stage of the competition, Apollon’s supporters are set to turn up in huge numbers in the group stage. Around 8,000 fans are expected to make the short drive to the capital in what will be one of the toughest games in the club’s history.
The sevens are aligning for Lewis Hamilton in Canada with another of Michael Schumacher’s Formula One records in his sights as Mercedes aim for a seventh win in seven races this season.Montreal has been a happy hunting ground for the five times world champion and Sunday could see the Briton equal Schumacher’s seven Canadian Grand Prix victories between 1994 and 2004.Yet Hamilton, who leads Finnish team mate Valtteri Bottas by 17 points in the standings after four wins out of six, can take nothing for granted at a power-sensitive track named after Ferrari great Gilles Villeneuve.Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel won from pole position in Canada last year and Mercedes have suggested the high-speed circuit could again favour Italian rivals whose season has yet to get into gear.“We are beginning to see more clearly the strengths and weaknesses of our car. In the past six races, we were very strong in the corners but lost time on the straights,” said principal Toto Wolff.“This will make Canada a huge challenge for us as the track characteristics could favour our opponents – there are many long straights, and fewer corners in which to make up lap time.”Hamilton, who took the first Formula One win of his career at the circuit with McLaren in 2007, indicated after winning the previous race in Monaco that a Mercedes engine upgrade was expected.While Mercedes have kept a lid on their plans, the timing would be right since the rules allow each driver three engines per season and Canada comes a third of the way through the 21-race championship.Ferrari, Renault and Honda have already introduced their upgraded engines.A main concern for the champions will be tyre management, with Hamilton struggling on the wrong choice in Monaco.“We need to learn from Monaco… because this situation in Montreal, you lose the race,” Wolff told reporters at the time, cautioning also against too much confidence after such an unprecedented start to the campaign.“We must never be carried away by saying we are just flying at the moment and it’s going to continue like this,” said the Austrian.Ferrari were out of sorts in Monaco, despite Vettel finishing second for the team’s best result so far this season, with Red Bull’s Max Verstappen posing the biggest threat to Hamilton but hit with a time penalty.“It’s a fun track, at least you can overtake if needed and I always enjoy going there,” said Verstappen, who was third in Canada last year behind second-placed Bottas.“I expect Ferrari to be more competitive in Canada, so for us it may be a bit more difficult, but as always we will try and maximise the result.”Bottas, beaten into third in Monaco after a pitlane clash with Verstappen that cost him second place and Mercedes a sixth successive one-two, will be fired up to claw back points from Hamilton.While rivals talked up Ferrari’s prospects, team boss Mattia Binotto has sounded less optimistic.“We know we’re not competitive enough right now,” he said. “And for the time being we haven’t got any more changes coming on the car that will have a significant effect on the problems we have encountered since the start of the season.”
Manchester United’s €78 million offer for Harry Maguire will be rejected as it falls short of Leicester’s valuation, PA understands.Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is looking to add an elite-level centre-back, with the Old Trafford club targeting the England defender just as they did last summer.However, Leicester do not want to sell Maguire and are under no financial pressure to let the 26-year-old leave the King Power Stadium.Manchester City are also reportedly interested in the former Sheffield United and Hull player, but United have made their move with an offer in the region of €78m.Maguire is currently on holiday having been given an extended break following his part in England’s Nations League campaign in Portugal.And, while not the type to agitate for a move, PA understands the centre-back has made Leicester aware he is open to exploring other opportunities.That is a different stance to last summer, when interest was swatted away by the Foxes before the England international signed a new and improved deal through to 2023.United have already signed right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka from Crystal Palace in a deal rising to €55m, while they are keen on Newcastle midfielder Sean Longstaff having also snapped up Daniel James from Swansea.Burnley’s James Tarkowski is a potential replacement for Maguire at Leicester but the Foxes have Filip Benkovic returning from a loan spell with Celtic, where he worked with Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers before the Northern Irishman moved to the midlands in February.Maguire joined Leicester from Hull for €19 two years ago and has made 76 appearances for the club, scoring five times.He also has 20 caps for England, scoring once in last summer’s 2-0 World Cup quarter-final win over Sweden.