Ministry Denies Petrocaribe Repayments Delayed

first_img By Balford Henry, JIS Reporter & Editor Ministry Denies Petrocaribe Repayments Delayed Finance & Public ServiceDecember 6, 2011 RelatedMinistry Denies Petrocaribe Repayments Delayed RelatedMinistry Denies Petrocaribe Repayments Delayed Advertisements FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail KINGSTON — The Ministry of Finance and Planning has refuted the claim of deferment of PetroCaribe interest payments, which appeared in the Financial Gleaner on Friday, December 2, under the headline “Gov’t may seek Deferring Payment to Venezuela”. In a release Monday (December 5), the Ministry said that the Government of Jamaica has not sought, and is not seeking, to defer any form of debt payment to Venezuela. “Jamaica remains current on all external debt payments,” the release said. “In December 2011, the government paid the current amounts of US$2.6 million, due under the PetroCaribe Agreement, bringing the total amount paid for the calendar year to US$42.2 million,” the ministry explained. The Financial Gleaner had claimed that “the Jamaican Government could seek a deferment of interest payments to Venezuela, totalling US$44 million, for the current financial year, under the PetroCaribe Development Fund”. The report also related the claim to Prime Minister Andrew Holness’ trip to Venezuela for the  PetroCaribe summit, following the Latin American and Caribbean summit on integration and development. PetroCaribe is an oil alliance with Venezuela, which allows Caribbean nations, including Jamaica, to purchase up to 185,000 barrels of Venezuelan oil per day at market value, and pay the remainder through a 25 year financing agreement. RelatedMinistry Denies Petrocaribe Repayments Delayedlast_img read more

Cain Velasquez to retire from UFC, join WWE

first_imgCain Velasquez is calling it a career in mixed martial arts.Velasquez is retiring from the UFC and signing a multi-year deal to join the WWE, the organization announced Friday. Join DAZN and watch more than 100 fight nights a yearThe former UFC heavyweight champion even has his first match lined up: Oct. 31 at the WWE Crown Jewel event against former UFC heavyweight champion and current WWE champion Brock Lesnar. The WWE also announced a match between Tyson Fury and Braun Strowman to be held during the same event. #WWEChampion @BrockLesnar vs. @cainmmaIt’s official, and it’s happening on Oct. 31 at #WWECrownJewel! pic.twitter.com/FE0SeNOVFZ— WWE (@WWE) October 11, 2019This is [email protected] vs. @Tyson_Fury. October 31. It’s going down at #WWECrownJewel! pic.twitter.com/KcuKGthpyA— WWE (@WWE) October 11, 2019Velasquez made his WWE debut on SmackDown last Friday where he confronted Lesnar. The two previously met in the octagon in October 2010 when Velasquez defeated Lesnar by TKO to win his first of two UFC heavyweight titles.Before his appearance at SmackDown, Velasquez also dipped his toe into wrestling in Mexico where he showed off some serious athleticism.Wow. Cain Velasquez is amazing as a wrestler. Cool that he wore a mask like a luchador, knowing the Mexican wrestling tradition.I’d love to see him in the @WWE when his #UFC career is over. #TriplemaniaXXVII pic.twitter.com/BEFpBCxoZ9— ChanMan (@ChandranTheMan) August 4, 2019The 37-year-old finishes his UFC career with a 14-3 (12 KOs) record.last_img read more

Cardinia off limits

first_imgAustralia’s top medical officials have advised Victorians against visiting the Cardinia Shire amid an increase in Covid-19 cases. The Australian…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription. By Mitchell Clarke last_img

Galway 0-10 Dublin 0-7 – National Camogie League

first_imgprint WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Email Galway got the defence of their Littlewoods Ireland Camogie League Division 1 title off to a winning start, coming out the right side of a 0-10 to 0-7 scoreline at TU Blanchardstown. The All-Ireland champions looked rusty but credit must go to a Dublin side that was getting the season under way under new managers John Treacy and Willie Braine without a number of key players for a variety of reasons. Scores proved hard to come by but the visitors led by three moving into the second quarter, points from Rebecca Hennelly (two), Caitriona Cormican and goalkeeper Sarah Healy from a long-distance free giving them the edge. Dublin finished the half strongly though and a couple of points from Sinéad Wylde had them well in touch at the interval, trailing by 0-5 to 0-3. The hosts got to within one of Galway twice in the second period but the experienced All-Ireland champions always put a little bit more daylight between the sides. Martha Donoghue split the posts soon after the resumption and when Carrie Dolan and Niamh Kilkenny stretched the gap to three, Wylde and Kerrie Finnegan got it back to the minimum again with 40 minutes elapsed. Healy landed her second monster point and Hennelly converted two frees for Cathal Murray’s contingent to take the verdict. After the game, Galway manager Cathal Murray spoke to Tommy Devane…last_img read more

Facebook’s Birthday Fundraisers Brought In $300 Million for Charity in Their First Year

first_imgFacebook added a feature about a year ago that lets you ask for donations in lieu of presents . . . even though literally NO ONE was buying presents for their Facebook friends before this. And some people think they’re a little annoying, just because of how CONSTANT they are.  Like, multiple times a week if you’ve got a lot of friends on there. But the good news is they ARE actually doing a lot of good. Have your Facebook friends been hitting you up for cash lately by creating “birthday fundraisers” for their favorite charities?center_img A woman named Asha Sharma heads up Facebook’s “Social Good” initiative.  And on Wednesday, she revealed that all those fundraisers brought in $300 MILLION for charity in their first year. The charities that have gotten the most money so far include St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital . . . the Alzheimer’s Association . . . the American Cancer Society . . . No Kid Hungry . . . and the ASPCA.last_img read more

Aurora to go hostile with CanniMed offer after failing to reach deal

first_imgTORONTO – Aurora Cannabis Inc. plans to bypass CanniMed Therapeutics Inc.’s management and go directly to shareholders with its unsolicited all-stock takeover offer, after the company’s board ignored its proposal.The licensed marijuana producer proposed the deal last week and gave the CanniMed board until Friday to respond. Aurora (TSX:ACB) said Monday morning that the board has not replied and it would go ahead with its bid, which it valued at $24 per CanniMed share.Aurora’s executive vice-president Cam Battley said it was “astonishing” that CanniMed’s board has chosen to ignore its offer.“We had initially approached them on a friendly basis, and we wanted to make this a collaborative process,” Battley said in an interview on Monday. “But their refusal to acknowledge this generous offer from Aurora means that we’ve decided to go over their heads directly to the CanniMed Shareholders. They’re the ones that will benefit from this.”Aurora said it has agreements with shareholders representing 38 per cent of CanniMed’s outstanding shares to support its bid, which it says represents a 56.9 per cent premium to CanniMed’s closing price prior to its proposal. Aurora intends to commence the hostile bid this week, mailing a circular to registered shareholders.The offer follows an announcement by CanniMed on Friday that it struck an all-stock deal to acquire marijuana company Newstrike Resources Ltd.Under the Newstrike deal, shareholders of the company (TSXV:HIP) will receive 0.033 CanniMed shares (TSX:CMED) for each Newstrike share held. The companies valued the offer at 50.5 cents per share, based on CanniMed’s share price on Nov. 14 before it disclosed it was in talks to acquire Newstrike, which is backed by The Tragically Hip.CanniMed shareholders would own approximately 65 per cent of the combined company, while Newstrike shareholders would hold the remaining 35 per cent.Aurora called CanniMed’s acquisition announcement “extremely troubling” in light of its offer presented to CanniMed’s board on Nov. 13.“At no point did CanniMed try to engage or otherwise entertain discussions with Aurora regarding the significant offer that had been presented to their Board for CanniMed shareholders prior to entering into the Newstrike Resources agreement,” the company said in a statement Monday.The Newstrike offer “should be considered oppressive to CanniMed shareholders,” it added.Battley called the $9.5-million break fee to be paid by CanniMed to Newstrike a “poison pill” tactic.The transaction is subject to approval from shareholders of both companies during special meetings.CanniMed president and chief executive Brent Zettl said Monday that Newstrike is “our optimal partner” as it looks to participate in the recreational marijuana market, with the July 2018 deadline set by the federal government for its legalization rapidly approaching.Zettl, who would not speak about Aurora during its conference call to discuss the Newstrike transaction, said this was CanniMed’s “initial step” to broaden beyond medicinal cannabis.“We are bringing on board an iconic, recognized brand associated with The Tragically Hip that will have a definite place in the recreational market,” he said.Shares of Aurora rose roughly 6 per cent to close at $5.85 in Toronto. Shares of the marijuana producer are up more than 90 per cent since Nov. 1.Meanwhile, shares of CanniMed closed at $19.71, up more than two per cent, while shares of Newstrike rose nearly 12 per cent to close at $0.57 on the TSX Venture Exchange.last_img read more

Will use Ashwins tips in the World Cup Mujeeb

first_imgNew Delhi: Injury and poor form made it a forgettable IPL for Afghanistan spinner Mujeeb ur Rahman but the time away from the field was well spent as he picked on Kings XI Punjab skipper Ravichandran Ashwin’s brains ahead of the World Cup in England. A shoulder injury meant that the 18-year-old wasn’t at his best during the cash-rich league, getting only three wickets in five games with an expensive economy rate of 10.05 runs per over. “I have learnt a lot having spend quality time with Ravichandran Ashwin in the KXIP set-up. He has given me a lot of useful tips and I am sure that I will execute those plans in the World Cup. During this edition of IPL, my shoulder injury was an issue. But now I am fully fit for the World Cup,” Mujeeb told reporters at a promotional event to announce Amul’s association with Afghanistan national team. Also Read – We will push hard for Kabaddi”s inclusion in 2024 Olympics: RijijuWhile he hasn’t played many matches this year, the best part about IPL according to Mujeeb is the opportunity to bowl at some of the prospective World Cup opponents. “The IPL schedule is so hectic and you are travelling a lot. It’s not that you get a lot of chance to talk about the game. But since you get a chance to bowl in matches where there are batsmen who will be there in the World Cup, it helps a lot,” said the Afghan teenager. Asked if he faced the second season blues, something which was evident as he went for 66 runs in his four overs against Sunrisers Hyderabad, Mujeeb attributed it to being part and parcel of cricket. “You will have a few bad days and it’s just that you have to be consistent with your line and length,” Mujeeb said.last_img read more

What to Expect From DeSean Jackson in Washington

The majority of these players were not as good in their new uniforms. This is going to be true of any subset of NFL players who were preselected on the basis of a great performance, of course, and Jackson is younger than the typical player in this group. But these players also faced a complication Jackson will come to know next season: playing in a new system with new teammates.The average receiver on the above list was 28.5 years old and posted 11.5 receiving AV in the last year with his former team. The following season, these receivers averaged 7.1 receiving AV, for a decline of 4.4 AV.As a control group, I also looked at wide receivers who had at least 10 receiving AV in a season and didn’t change teams. Their average age in the first year was 27.5, and they put up 11.8 receiving AV. The following season, they produced 9 receiving AV on average — a decline of only 2.8 AV.There’s probably a selective sampling effect here — teams don’t tend to let these guys go for no reason — but it doesn’t matter, because Jackson fits that trend. Whatever the reason for leaving, it’s clear that good receivers who change addresses in the offseason see more of a regression than the typical pass-catcher coming off a strong season.Although this is no guarantee that Jackson will disappoint in 2014, the history of similar receivers says he’s unlikely to build on last season’s Pro Bowl performance. This was going to be true whether the Eagles retained him or not, but the odds of a decline increased with the move. News broke Wednesday that NFL wide receiver DeSean Jackson has signed with the Washington Redskins. The Philadelphia Eagles had released Jackson on Friday, ending the tenure of one of the most productive receivers in Eagles history. Jackson wasn’t let go for on-the-field performance. Instead, the speculation is that he was sent packing for non-football reasons.Regardless of the motivation behind the release, Jackson will be one of the better receivers since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger to switch teams between seasons, at least according to receiving Approximate Value in the preceding year. Here is every wide receiver since 1970 who accumulated at least 10 receiving AV in a season and then switched teams: read more

In Big Ten mens tennis fluctuations in weather make travel tricky

The Ohio State men’s tennis team is scheduled to continue Big Ten conference play on the road against Nebraska and Iowa after three consecutive wins in Columbus. Recent home victories against Louisville, Purdue and Indiana helped propel the No. 7 Buckeyes (18-2, 3-0) toward their nearly 10-year home win streak, as well as their pursuit of an eighth-straight Big Ten championship. Both losses suffered by the Scarlet and Gray during the 2013 campaign – then-No. 15 Texas A&M and No. 1 Virginia – have come while playing on the road. Coach Ty Tucker said away matches during the spring are unpredictable because of the constantly changing weather. “The tricky thing about Big Ten tennis and on-the-road matches is that you never know what weather you’re going to get. When you get to a place, you have to make sure that you practice on their indoor courts and their outdoor courts. After traveling, and flying, and changing planes, guys aren’t really looking forward to four hours of practice,” Tucker said. “It’s challenging to the guys … one day it’s 60 degrees and the next day it’s snowing in the Big Ten.” The Buckeyes’ match against Nebraska (8-7, 0-2) will be the third time OSU has faced off against the Cornhuskers since Nebraska joined the Big Ten in 2011. OSU won both matches against Nebraska in 2012. However, the match Friday will mark the first time the Buckeyes have traveled to Lincoln, Neb., as part of their conference schedule. “We know that (Nebraska) has a difficult indoor tennis center, and if (the match) is outdoors, we know that it’s usually a very windy condition. In tennis, high winds is a pretty darn good equalizer,” Tucker said. “The most important thing that we do is make some first serves, stay disciplined and keep the feet moving.” Redshirt senior Devin McCarthy said he is looking forward to visiting Nebraska for his first time as a Buckeye. “I’m excited. I’ve obviously played at the other (Big Ten) schools four or five times, and it will be fun to see a new school, new facility and check out the campus a little bit,” he said. After the scheduled match against Nebraska, OSU is slated to travel to Iowa City, Iowa, to face the Hawkeyes on Sunday. Steve Houghton, the coach of the Hawkeyes (7-7, 0-2), is the longest-tenured active coach in Big Ten men’s tennis, currently serving his 31st season with Iowa. The Buckeyes shut out Iowa, 7-0, in Columbus in 2012. “When I was playing in the Big Ten, Steve Houghton was the coach at that time. (He is) a class individual and you always have a good match, but it’s always much rougher at Iowa,” Tucker said. Tucker said he is confident in his team’s ability to perform on the road because leadership from OSU’s two seniors, Connor Smith and McCarthy, has been strong on and off the court. “One of our goals is for seniors to have their best years. To see these guys stepping up their senior year and putting the wins on the board and doing it convincingly is what we always hope will happen with the seniors … Connor and Devin have done a tremendous job,” Tucker said. Smith, who is ranked No. 43 nationally, said the team’s high performance level is because of a focus on team play rather than individual play. “In tennis, it’s a very individual sport, so it’s easy to get caught up in the individual ranking and trying to get individual accolades and all that. I think we care more, personally, about each guy on the team and how the team does than any personal rankings. We would rather be ranked one as a team,” Smith said. The match against Nebraska on Friday is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. in Lincoln, Neb. read more