Iran nuclear talks extended until mid-2015

first_imgForeign ministers present at the talks in Vienna said that new ideas had emerged during the final, week-long talks. Laurent Fabius, the foreign minister of France, said the “new ideas…clearly require a very detailed technical assessment because these are complex concepts”.The delay could complicate approval of a potential deal in the US Congress, as, from 6 January, both houses will be controlled by Republican opponents of President Barack Obama. The delay also raises questions about the role of Ashton, who has been leading negotiations in her capacity as chief of EU foreign policy. In an effort to maintain momentum in the talks, Ashton was asked to continue chairing the talks with Iran beyond her departure from her EU post on 31 October until the 24 November deadline.Ashton’s successor as foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini, said on Monday that she had spoken with Kerry and the three European foreign ministers involved in Iran talks – Fabius, Philip Hammond of the UK and Frank-Walter Steinmeier of Germany – about whether Ashton should continue to chair talks. “This is probably something that we will decide over the next few days,” Mogherini said. The international community failed on Monday (24 November) to strike a comprehensive agreement with Iran over its nuclear programme, but decided to prolong negotiations rather than reimpose sanctions on Tehran.The chief negotiators for both sides – Catherine Ashton for the international community and Mohammad Javad Zarif for Iran – said that because of “the technical nature of this effort and the decisions needed, more work is required to assess and finalise them as appropriate”.A new deadline of mid-2015 was set, but both sides said they intended to strike a political agreement “within the shortest possible time, up to four months”, leaving some months for possible technical adjustments. In the interim, the European Union and the United States will prolong the suspension of some sanctions on Iran, as agreed in an interim deal struck last November. John Kerry, the United States’ secretary of state, said that “given how far we have come … this is certainly not the time to get up and walk away”.last_img read more

At that time, the DRS If there was, he would…

first_imgNew Delhi: Former India captain and coach Anil Kumble has said that his 10-wicket haul would have happened earlier if the DRS (Decision Review System) system had been in place. Kumble took 10 wickets in an innings in the 1999 Test against Pakistan at the Feroz Shah Kotla Ground in Delhi. Kumble also became the second highest wicket-taker in an innings in a Test after Jim Laker of England. Jim Laker’s achievement in 1956 was against Australia. Indian cricketer R. During an interview with Ashwin, Kumble talked about the technical shortcomings of the time he was playing. Kumble said he did not agree with the umpires’ bias, but added that he would have taken 10 wickets earlier if the DRS had been in place. Kumble also shared memories of that day. “I was the one who took all the six wickets that Pakistan lost at tea that day. But after lunch I was tired when I came back after tea because I was constantly throwing overs at the tea breakers. But then I realized that I had a better chance than I had gotten earlier. But I never thought I would take 10 wickets, “Kumble said. Content Highlights: if DRS was there Would have got all 10 wickets against Pakistan a lot earlier Anil Kumblelast_img read more